PRism (ISSN 1448-4404) is a free-access, online, peer-refereed public relations and communication research journal. It was established in 2002 to meet the need for readily available, quality controlled public relations and communication research materials online, and published its first issue in 2003.
PRism is supported by a diverse and distinguished editorial board comprising 50 international academics with extensive scholarly and practical public relations and communication expertise. Board members are particularly dedicated to the support and encouragement of new scholarship in public relations and communication, through detailed and constructive refereeing.
PRism ranked as a 'B' journal in both the 2008 and 2010 listings of international refereed journal quality rankings issued biannually from the Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC). This means PRism is consistently and formally recognised by independent external assessment as a "well regarded journal in the field" that "publishes research of a good standard in terms of originality, significance and rigour and papers are fully refereed according to good standards and practices" (Australian Business Deans, 2008). The ABDC rankings consider such factors as "relative standing of the journal in other recognised lists (such as the Association of Business Schools), citation metrics, international standing of the editorial board, quality of peer-review processes, track record of publishing influential papers, sustained reputation, and influence of publications in the journal in relation to hiring, tenure and promotion decisions" (ABDC, 2010, p. 1).
Each PRism issue contains full-length refereed scholarly articles, shorter non-refereed commentary pieces, and a range of book reviews, opinion pieces, and/or conference reports. We welcome both practical and critical perspectives on public relations and public communication. We use 'public relations' in its broadest sense, to encompass all communication within and between organisations or individuals and their social, environmental, and political context, including but not limited to community relations, industry relations, lobbying, media communication, corporate social responsibility, marketing communication, internal communication, reputation management, financial relations, fundraising, issues management, public affairs, relationship management, crisis communication, social marketing, and more. In our special issues we have also published articles on broader aspects of communication such as journalism and visual communication, and on the intersections of communication with other disciplinary fields such as education.
The PRINZ Prize: The Public Relations Institute of New Zealand sponsors a cash prize for guest editorship of a special issue of PRism journal: click here for details.
- Volume 1, Issue 1 - 2003
- Volume 2, Issue 1 - 2004
- Volume 3, Issue 1 - 2005
- Volume 3, Issue 2 - August 2005: Special issue from the Social Marketing Downunder Conference
- Volume 4, Issue 1 - 2006
- Volume 4, Issue 2 - June 2006: Special issue on public relations measurement and evaluation
- Volume 4, Issue 3 - Special issue on visual and audio-visual communication
- Volume 5, Issues 1 and 2 - Double issue incorporating 2007's special issue on public relations pedagogy plus our regular omnibus issue for 2008
- Volume 6, Issue 1 - 2009 (general issue)
- Volume 6, Issue 2 - 2009: Special issue on global public relations
- Volume 7, Issue 1 - 2010 (general issue)
- Volume 7, Issue 2 - 2010: Special issue on non-profit organisation relationships
- Volume 7, Issue 3 - 2010: Special issue on social networks, communication practice and public relations
- Volume 7, Issue 4 - 2010: Special issue on gender and public relations
- Volume 8, Issue 1 - 2011 (general issue)
- Volume 8, Issue 2 - 2011: Special issue on segmentation
- Volume 9, Issue 1 - 2012/2013 (double issue incorporating general articles and a special themed section on online public relations)
- Volume 9, Issue 2 - 2012: Special issue on power and public relations
- Volume 10, Issue 1 - 2013: PRism 10th Anniversary Issue
- Volume 11, Issue 1 - 2014 (general issue)
- Volume 11, Issue 2 - 2014: Special issue on relationships and dialogue
- Volume 12, Issue 1 - 2015: Special issue on fandom and public relations
- Volume 12, Issue 2 - 2015: Special AW Page issue on stakeholder engagement